Wednesday, August 4, 2010

what's wrong with you?

This could also be called ‘Depression is an answer to everything! Or so the doctors think.’

I have more-less recovered by now, but last week I experienced the worst doctor’s appointment ever! It was so bad that I considered immediate moving back to Canada.

First she had double-booked the time and then just ignored the fact that there was a small kid outside waiting. When I entered, there was no ‘hello’. Also the nurse was standing on the patient’s chair and doing something under the ceiling.

‘What’s wrong with you (Mis sul viga on)?’ the doctor asked, when I was standing in the middle of the room with all of my stuff.
‘Well, I … ‘
And then the nurse finished the ceiling business, gave me the chair and started attaching all sorts of wires and telling me not to talk.

Hmmm…

Finally I got the worrisome issues told. She wanted to do the blood work (and so did I), but she wanted to do it on Tuesday morning. I live in Tallinn though… ‘Then take another doctor!’, she said. Well, yes, but it requires energy and right now I just need some immediate help to carry me through the upcoming days (and then I will most definitely take another doctor!!).

Anyway, I got the blood work order for 3 things that I knew I wanted to check (she did not add any new ideas) and even argued with my theory (which I know I was correct). The punch-line: eat fruit, do nice things and rest. And you will feel better.

Wow.

And on Monday I called to find out the results. The tests came back negative, and she concluded: hereby I diagnose depression. Go to the psychiatrist. And oh, by the way, they are mostly privately held businesses.

Did I mention, that I saw the doctor for 7 minutes, she never asked about my health in the past nor did she never touch me. Magical diagnosing skills.
And I thought that the time in Canada, when they thought that I cannot adjust with the different culture, was the worst.
No wonder Estonians have bad health.

PS! Later I recalled that the same family doctor advised carrot to treat myocarditis...

No comments: