Thursday, February 11, 2010

30 years of patience plus hostels are for fun

Another weekend in Tallinn (Feb 5-7). This time I decided to stay at a hostel, 2 minutes from the Raekoja plats. I figured that I would spend the same money on a cab going home late. Plus the breakfast was included. The biggest plus was the people. My roommates were 3 wonderful portugese: João, Theresa and Pedro. And later a Finnish girl Sini and a Russian actor Oleg joined in.
Snippets of moments:
Friday.
Had a wine/tea (one for me, one for the friend) with a old friend Thor from Tartu times.
Rushed to a spa for Ave's girls night. Really, really relaxing:) We also had some wine later at the Raekoja plats.
I got home a little past midnight, and to my surprise all three portugese were asleep.
I had some trouble falling asleep. It was slightly noisy (due to neighbouring bars) and russians next door were drinking and smoking. At some point someone opened our rooms door. I closed it, locked and after that I had nightmares about these russians taking our room over. At 4 am someone was knocking on the door. I was under the influence of my dreams, so when I woke up, my heart was almost jumping out. I was just very quiet. Theresa was brave (she did not see the same dreams) and approached the door. I asked her to ask who is it, but she was really braver than me. Good for the arriving Finn:)
Saturday.
Breakfast with Sini and the portugese three.
Getting ready for the church at 3 pm.
The ceremony was over the top beautiful. Part of the speech said that the 30 years ago the groom added one prayer to his days, that God would send a nice a loving woman his way. And for 30 years he waited, saying the prayer. Until he had to go to Ottawa. And Ave had to go to Ottawa. And his prayers paid off.
And when the minister talked about what they most like about each other, then Ave had said: he is patient with my impatience.
Everything was just so beautiful and touching.
Gillian, Jason and I walked over to the dinner place together, having coffee on the way.
The dinner had its moments. I had to introduce our international table, and I called the neighbour of the grooms parents the "ex-neighbour", which apparently caused some interest. But she told me to say so.
I approved the plan to put the newlyweds to dance polka, and it ended with me showing the steps (in my high heels). I survived.
I asked for the ladies choice, to assist my friend in getting his boyfriend to dance.
I also won the chance to make a surprise to the newlyweds on the tenth month of their marriage. They are going to live in California, so methinks I should just fly to visit them:)
It was a beautiful, beautiful wedding!

Around midnight it was time to find my Portuguese friends. I found them from Hell Hunt, of course. We had a (one more) drink. Among the other things they wanted to learn bad words. 4, as you know, I do not know any. So I actually went around the bar to get this info. Thankfully I have a short memory:P
Next stop was KuKu club. Some dancing, some drinks. In the end Pedro and I had a straightforward discussion about 'what girls/guys want'. Very interesting. And then we got kicked out.
Thor went home and we lost the german guy. So João and Pedro and I went to Levist Väljas (out of network) - essentially an afterhours place. I only have been there once, and I only know how to get there in the dark. We had a drink, chatted and eventually they kicked us out from there as well (due to closing). So it was time to go back to the hostel and make friends with the ever-happy Russian neighbors. It was close to 7 am. We sat in the hallway and chatted, in English. I tried to speak some Russian, but only French came out. Apparently these guys came to the extreme sport festival (to attend, methinks).
Great night!
Sunday.
I had to check out at noon. Oh, it was painful.
Had tea and soup at the Komeet with Portugese.
Showed João and Theresa Kristiine fashion market.
Walked around Kadriorg, saw swans and had tea at KuMu museum. The funny thing was that João and Pedro were studying architecture and this was the only cool design building they saw.
The Portuguese came to visit Baltics thanks to one Lithuanian girl, who had studied in Portugal. It was very good to hear, that they really liked Estonia. They sort of expected the third Riga/Vilnius-like city, but got a very different taste. The language is different, the buildings are different and nicer, the streets are cleaner and so on.

No comments: