Saturday, March 15, 2008

Winterfun: snowshoeing


I'm not sure whether I have mentioned it already, but after these snowstorms my excitement for snow and snowlove came back. So quickly I organized a trip to the forest on snowshoes. Snowshoes are these big flip-flop like things that strap tp your shoes, and won't let you fall through the snow. And this year - cumulative snow amount is close to 4 meters.

It was SO much FUN! The day was just perfect - not too cold, not too warm. It was so sunny. The snow was so pretty. And we had a great turnout - 18 people came. We walked around Lac Philippe in the Gatineau park.

The funny thing was to learn, how people do not have a common sense and how do they ignore the e-mails. I sent out that it's about 3 hours snowshoeing track. - Yet some people were surprised to see, that it's REAL snowshoeing. I sent out an e-mail with instructions how to dress (for people who wouldn't know better). Major point being: good shoes and socks, layers in clothing, and water. Yet people came in jeans and their everyday wintercoats and without water. Of course they were boiling in an hour (one of them was our VP-Sports - kind of ironic).
So 18 went until the first expected fire and rest place (we confirmed before that it does exist). But - what wasn't there was the resting area. Then our group split - half went back (people who didn't expect "serious" sport and people who were boiling and kaput). The other half continued to search for the fireplace, as we had hotdogs and marshmellows with us. And we found a spot FIVE minutes after we parted with the other half. of course - it was not kept ready. but - we are all resourceful. We took down some trees (the dead ones), we had some paper (incident report and note papers), and voila - we had fire. It was so nice!
Different techniques in hotdog cooking. I am still convinced that MY way (the crossed way) is better.
Mishap with the first hotdog...

No comments: