Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Culture shocked weekend

Reelika invited me to a scout camp a long time ago - to entertain the kids with science. It sounded fun, so I said yes. Last Friday I packed my bags and headed to the school and met 16 kids, about 10-11 years old.
At first I had no idea how to approach them. And that was not a problem, as they did the approaching for me. But still - I was quite overwhelmed. The evening proceeded with games and lots screaming. My poor ears. At 11 pm it was supposedly the 'night peace', but the screaming continued, just this time they were also in the sleeping bag, pretending to be worms. I was highly honored (as a new guest, who was not telling them to stop) and thus I was named the 'Worm King'. So very cool! :)
Before bed-time we had a candle-light walk with beautiful-clever sayings, that Reelika had prepared. Very spiritual:) The kids loved it! And me too!
At 2 we went to sleep and at 8.30 we woke up, because of the 'ghosts' were going around. The official wake-up call would have been at 9 am. Kids do not know how to sleep nowadays. Crazy. All this energy all together got me culture shocked big time.

Saturday was my day - to do science fun - make water disappear, show them dirty teeth up close, make slime and rockets. It was fun!
And the end was so sweet! They had made me a gift of green earrings (probably to remind me my worm-king status :P) and they all hugged me:) I think that's why I loved this stuff in Canada, too. The love you get back:)

Saturday night I had a jubilee party to attend. My cousin and his 2 buddies got 30, so there was a huge party 'Moscow '80 Olympics' in Tõstamaa. Awesome party.
There was lots of food, drinks, games, LOTS of dancing and at some point even some basketball (I think over an hour of trying I got 4 of them in - but it was about 4 am too at that point).
At 5 am it was time to go home... I was SO lucky that my relatives came to pick me up (5 km walk in the middle of the woods in -25C would have been too much), and my little second cousin had made me the bed! :)

And Sunday was just sweet. Laura (my second cousin) and I went for a walk at the sea (I will post pics), and then played with a dog, and then watched the 'Twilight'.

Life is beautiful!!


No comments: