Tuesday, October 14, 2008

TA tales - drama

Poor first-yearers... They manage to make school into such a drama.
Today their first formal lab report was due. At 9 pm. At 8.55 I had one crying student, who wasn't ready with her report and she didn't know what to do. Yet she was pretty much done. So dealt with her. Then, at 9.05 I have another student storming in, cheeks red and obviously stressed. He talked so much and asked about his report and whether it's good and how good. Yet at the same time I had to take care of my this weeks students in the lab. The student nr 2 was quite done with his lab, but he was missing the raw data. I tell them EVERY week, how important this is. I even sign it - so it would be proven that they collected the data. If no raw data is attached, the lab is zero. Oh, this didn't help his stress case. He sent his buddy running to get the raw data for him. At the same time he was counseling his lab partner over the phone to finish the lab and bring it in. I got done with the lab, picked up my 10 lab reports (instead of expected 18), and then we started walking toward the library - so Student 2 could get his raw data and so we could meet the Lab Partner for his report. The raw data arrived half way to the library (poor buddy, he deserves a drink). And the Lab Partner, he just came to apologize, that he's not going to make it.
Wow... people... first year students...
Why make so much work and drama...
Was I like this one day?
Maybe I was... I just can't remember.

So I e-mailed everyone today to remind them about the late report policy and to remind about life - that they should breathe and enjoy life too. That the school does not run away.
They probably think I'm an alien.

No comments: