In the meanwhile - on Saturday I went to Fabiens last party in Canada at the Honest Lawyer. It was a nice little get together. I had one of these nights when the alcohol didn't do anything to me, so I decided not to waste money and have just 2 beers. I had forgotten how weird the bars are when you are not drunk enough to make everything nicely foggy. But overall good times:)
Leslie and Vanja decided to accessorize themselves with some random necklaces at my place, and later tried to apply them to Fab. We have some good pics.
And I also had a nice talk with Fabien. About life and relationships. He seems to be sure that my day will come too. My problem is that I'm too nice and waste time on randoms (and he is so right about it). I just gotta pick the confident and good one, who is a bit crazy. Fabiens' kind of crazy.
Sunday I felt SO tired and slightly hangover (of these 2 beers? weird). Nicole and I went to pick up the pumpkins for the department. We went to this Avonmore berry and pumpkin farm. It was super nice.
Later I went for dinner at Martins, whom I helped to move some time earlier this month. It was so tasty! Pasta with salmon and parmesan potatoes. Really nice.
And that was my weekend.
Monday found me exhausted. Yet I made my way to the lab, to attend the Work in Progress, where our postdoc was giving a talk and Leslie was making cookies. And later, more than 2 hours of Gairdner laureate talks: Dr. Nahum Sonenberg, Gairdner Laureate 2008, presented “Regulation of Protein Synthesis: From Basic Discoveries to Medical Applications” and Dr. Ulrich Hartl, Gairdner Laureate 2004, presented “Protein Chaperones in the Cell.”
The latter one gave me an idea for my thesis, so it was a successful day.
Later we had our volleyball game. We were only 6 (any of our extras couldn't make it), so everyone played at all times. It was a good workout. Even though - we lost yet again. Did I mention it already, that we have not won a game yet? We even haven't won a set. Zero. Oh well. Tähtis pole võit, vaid osavõtt (Victory is not important. The attendance is.)
Tuesday: I had to peel myself off my bed at 9, to be at the lab at 9.15. I distributed pumpkins...
We had a lab meeting... And then I made zuccini-feta cheese-tart. It turned out quite well. I'll try to type up the recipe too.
And then I had the lab. These students. They just don't listen. Why do I even bother?

No comments:
Post a Comment