Saturday, September 22, 2007

from some obsecure corner of your spleen

Animation Film Fest is here. It's here and it's also almost over. Today I managed to get out to see some stuff.
First I went to see "From Words to Film" - some sort of synthesis of animation and poetry. As I love both, I figured it would be cool. I even managed to convince Marc to come with me.
And it was COOL! Different, as well, yes. But COOL! Very inspirational. Some days I think that maybe biochem is not the one for me. Who knows.
But my favorites from today were:
Forgetfulness [2005] Julian Grey | Hear Gear Animation | Canada. On YouTube there are more poems from Billy Collins (Sweet words, The Dead etc), that are awesome!

Primiti Too Ta [1986] Ed Akerman & Collin Morton | Canada

Tread Softly [2005] Heebok Lee | USA

Sandburg’s Arithmetic
[1994] Lynn Smith | Canada (I couldn't find it). Plus a few more I liked:)

And as the teeth was "bloody" (hammas oli verel), I had to go and see something else. So I went to see Free Jimmy (Norway/UK). It's about an elephant Jimmy who is a drug addict. And there are 4 junkies, who are taking care of Jimmy, 5 vegans who want to save Jimmy (but end up hearting him), and 3 maffia dudes from Lapland. There's lots of action, and some love story. I enjoyed it a lot (even though some scenes were quite bloody). Also the end was a little "skinny". I recommend it!

I missed "Persepolis", that apparently was sold out. So I have to keep my eyes open for that. Tomorrow I will try to go and see some short animations. One of these is Estonian - Marathon by Kaspar Janice.


No comments: