Updates:
on Friday we (BMI Grad Student council) had a Career Day. SUCH a success! More than 100 people (so many people won't even show up to the compulsory events), and a great line of speakers. Again - very inspirational. I was actually hoping to get some answers, but it seems that I am simply too good. I could do EVERYTHING. Well, actually I do have some thoughts... but I'll come back to them later.
But all and all I feel very satisfied with the event. Now there's just the ski-trip to be attend, but overall we have accomplished all of the goals/dreams I set a year ago.
Friday night I went to Patty Bolands - an Irish Pub on the market. It used to be a decent place... for a pub. But wow, not anymore. First they demanded 2.50 for cover and forced us to leave our coats to the coat-check. And gave us attitude not to lose the tickets, 'cos then we have to stay until 2.30 am. Do I look 12 and fully drunk to you????
And then the place was full of too young too drunk people, who threw up at some point. The beverages were served in plastc (!!). I was lucky enough to get one beer served in a glass and so I kept re-pouring my other 2 beers from plastic into that. And the music - SO loud! And so off tuned. Horrible. I was deaf all Saturday.
Anyway - if it weren't for Juzer's birthday, I would have not stayed. But the Birthday -related stuff was all good - good people and good chats.
Saturday I pretended to clean and organized an entire floor-full of papers. And then headed to Dorotas. We made guljash (hungarian meat dish) togehter and had lots of tea and watched tv. Such a wonderful night.
And Sunday we had a superlong breakfast and chatted and played with Kornelius (the cat) and went for a walk around the neighbourhood. Once I made it home I was ready for bed:)
Monday I went skating for the first time this season. I woke up and the radio announced -35 degrees outside... Hmmm, I thought. But I had a deal with Supervisors wife that we meet at 10.30 am at the Canal Ritz. So I just bundled up and headed to the canal. It was NICE. Smooth ice, frail snow falling, no people. Indeed, my soles started to cramp after the first kilometer, but I toughed it out and made it to the meeting point and then to the Dows lake (the end) and back to Canal Ritz for the lunch. Really nice. And then I skated back home:) I was glad I made it out. It didn't feel THAT cold. And skating was amazing.
Later I watched "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist". A romantic movie. Voted as one of the best romantic movies from 2008, and it was really, really cute! I recommend. It's with the same guy who played Bleaker in "Juno" (Michael Cera) and Kat Dennings - a really pretty girl.
And today is Monday. I made it to work today. To get rid of all the extra theses at home (I almost broke my toes over them and then almost broke my back carrying them) and to have lunch with Dorota and to urge supervisor to send in my examiners. But I also got a bad news today.... I'm not going to Tanzania... I really wanted to. Lets Talk Science was sending 2 volunteers over there to teach for 3 weeks in September. And I wanted to go. But it seems it was not meant to be. I think it's their loss, honestly. Because I am their longest standing volunteer, and I have loads of experience and I am resourceful and calm, which is important when travelling so far. Anyway... no go. It may be better for my career anyway though. As how could I ask for 3 weeks off in September if I'm going to maybe get the job in august?
But I am disappointed. I should have a drink.
I also feel very tired and restless. I feel I need to have my future all straight and clear. But it's not. I need a vacation. And again - perhaps a drink will help.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment