It discusses the ever-actual topic in Estonia - why Estonians are leaving Estonia and why are they not coming back. And I am also one of the guilty ones.
One major point that is brought up, is that Estonians are really proud and people who even would like to return back, are not welcome. New "foreign" ways of doing things are not accepted, because the local ones are better. I was sent on the road also with the statement "Kodus on hea kyll" (At home it's good enough". I still decided to come to Canada. And I am still convinced that it was the best decision. And now I am thinking that how I may be welcomed back....
The article also discusses how Estonians are on the trip. And apparently Estonians are the ones who complain about the little things a lot, because "they have paid". Funny. I don't complain that much (I think), but I definitely expect a lot, if I have paid (and paid "a lot", which is anything above 20 dollars for me).
The author also brings out that Estonian in the world would be the one standing a little away from the group (since the personal space is so important, and what is the point of talking about nothing anyway). And when a task is presented, Estonian does it quickly and well. In other words, Estonians are quick to get to the point (perhaps even more than Germans). So this is who we are. I think it's true.
So the article states, that perhaps Estonians abroad are looking for warmer human relations and relaxed environments, instead of a way to become rich quick and be better than the others.
Again, I feel that it's true. I like people here. I like it that strangers smile and start a small chat. I like to chat with the staff at stores. I like to help people - open doors, pick up stuff they have dropped...
But I like people in general:)
The real question is - where do I see myself in a few month/years? What do I value more?

No comments:
Post a Comment