Sunday, August 17, 2008

aug 15 - Happy Acadian Day!

15th august is the Acadian Day.
Acadians are these wonderful people at the Atlantic coast. They once came from France. And their "head office" was in New Brunswick. Then the British came and were a little evil and etc. So many of them got thrown around the North America. Long story. Very interesting though.
Wiki will help you to learn more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia

And I have wonderful friends from there. Brigitte invited Leslie and me to have dinner to celebrate the Acadian day. Of course we agreed. We picked up the case of beer (I got ID'd for this. And this was in Quebec, where you can start drinking, when you are 18. It was a compliment, I take it).

And then we had a nice night with Acadian music and chicken stew (fricot de poulet?). It was SO tasty! Just like from childhood:) And we had beer. And chatted:) So nice.

One dialog was quite funny:
I found the giant microbe mononucleosis aka kissing disease from the ground. And it turned out to be Flo's (their kitty) favorite toy. I remembered kitty Audi, when she was at my place, and continued the story, saying that she liked the bad breath (the toy bacteria, to continue from the kissing disease) a lot. And then Brigitte continues, that yes, it's funny with cats and funny smells. I wasn't sure, why the sudden turn in conversation, when Leslie noted, that I had meant the plush toy called Bad Breath, not the phenomena.

The other funny story from Brigitte's house warming:
somebody (non-scientist) wanted to cool down their beer quickly, so they put it to the freezer. Some time later they opted for a different drink. I gently reminded them, that did they take out their beer from the minus 20? They looked at me, asking "what?" I repeated. They still weren't sure what was I talking about. Until Brigitte came to save, and translated, that for us (geeks), minus 20 means the freezer. And the laughter followed.

But - who doesn't make jokes, won't get (enjoy) jokes!
Kes nalja ei tee, see nalja ei saa.

No comments: