Monday, August 25, 2008

Friday in Montreal - Fun and Drama

About a year ago I got this idea that we should go to Montreal. But it was the end of the summer, and we ran short of time. So it didn't happen.
But this year - I was in charge and we made it happen.
I contacted the Biochem grad student association at the McGill University in the beginning of the summer to ask whether they'd like a networking event. They said yes, so it started.
We rented the bus.
We made the day plan.
We advertised.
We convinced 27 people.
And off we went.

Some people went to walk around the City. Some to La Ronde. Most of us went to Biodome. Then we had an hour for shopping with Fiona. The rest went to find a place to eat.
At 3 pm we needed to be at McGill - for the seminar. Fiona and I made it. Five other people who were wondering around the city made it. And that was it. Half an hour in, still no sign of the 17 people missing. The Chair of Biochem asked, that you were supposed to be 30. Where is everyone? I felt SO embarrassed.
They were 70 minutes left. The seminar finished 65 minutes after the start. I was not very impressed. I was actually pretty mad. But what could I have done? Nothing.

So we had a reception (with free beer) and food. It was nice. Some good chatting, and seeing the beautiful labs. And I kept pouring the beer in, as I needed to calm my nerves.

At 7 pm we had a dinner at one greek place. They allow you to bring your own wine, which is amazing. We brought 14 bottles (there was 27 of us:D). It was a happy event:)
Still some drama. Some of our people took "the others'" bubble wine. So their "chief", instead of telling them, came to me to complain. So I gave him one of our white wines. But c'mon - can't you just talk among yourselves?
There were 5 people who came to the dinner from McGill. Two were sitting with us, and three on their own. After some wine I went and chatted with them and encouraged them to talk to UofO people... It didn't work.

At 11 pm we headed out. The majority went to the grad bar. But Fiona and Nicole and I decided to stroll around.
There was a pool and I almost fell into it. After I had to jump across the fence, parallel to the ground, 'cos Nicole wanted to know how warm the water is. The security guy didn't like it too much. So I had to do it again - for the picture.

Then we took a picture with the bouncer. He seemed appropriately hot at that moment. The pic itself... well.. it's ok, i guess.

Then we went to a club and couldn't move further from the entrance as we were occupied by two guys. Thankfully there was three of us. But still -what a nerve.
I was also carrying three bottles of wine in my purse at all this time.

A bit before midnight, when our vehicle would disappear into being a star in a sky, we headed back. Good thing I made the maps with every location and address on it.
We made it happily and successfully to the grad bar. The bus was still there. I even had time to go in and check the place out and have a glass of water. And - I was also proposed to by one guy. What a shame, I have forgotten his name now. But I have a picture. Maybe one day I will follow up.

And 12.01 Am we took off. I gave a funny spiel about the day and thanked everyone, put on the movie "cool runnings" and then I dozed off - bottles of wine under my head and feet on the other side of the seats.

I got home past 2 am.
I saw some neighbors and ended up having one beer with them while watching synchronized swimming. Impressive.

Saturday morning found me a bit tired... But happy over the successful event!

No comments: