Sunday, August 17, 2008

Thursday 5 years ago it was dark, very dark

That means, that 5 years ago, on Aug 14th, all the lights were out in Ottawa. And in Ontario up to US border. And in the state of New York. And probably some places more.

It was my first summer in Ottawa. I lived with Ave, at her apartment on Gloucester St. We lived on the 24th floor, overlooking the city to the South. Only trees and small buildings. And my bed was right next to the balcony door, so my mornings and evening were spectacular.

On that particular day I was in the lab. It was about 3 pm. I was setting up an experiment in our little "cave" lab (it has no windows). And all of the sudden all went black and quiet. The electricity was gone. Me, seen-a-lot-eastern-European didn't really think much. I was used to this kind of things - electricity going and then coming back. So we waited. In a few minutes the emergency back-up came on, so there was light in the hallway and a few outlets worked. We are right next to the second biggest (I think?) hospital in Ontario, after all.
We thought we'd go to the office and wait.
And then we got the phone call, that an entire building is out.
And then the entire neighborhood.
And then that an entire city is out of power.
And then we heard that the black-out is all the way to New York. Then I decided, that perhaps it's better to go home.
Somebody gave me the ride. The traffic was normal, even though there were no traffic lights.
And I made it home.
I lived on the 24th floor and I even didn't know where the stairs were. To my total surprise, the elevator was working. So I took it. I was actually a little disappointed, 'cos it would have been probably the only time in my life when I voluntarily go up the stairs twenty and four floors.

Everything was ok for us. Except there was no water (so no tea or shower or... ). But we had wine:) So we sat on the balcony, had a candle, looked over the dark, dark city and chatted. And listened to screaming kids until late, as everyone was out.
It was also quite warm then (+35 degrees, or so). So everyone also complained that there's no AC and they can't live. Wimps. We never had AC, so we didn't suffer. Sometimes it's good too:)

Much to my sadness, the electricity was up and running in the lab by the next afternoon. The hospitals influence, you know. And our apartment building was ok by the same time. But some people were without power for a few days. Crazy.
I remember it, August 14, 2003 as a beautiful day.

This year Leslie and Brigitte and I went to Jenn's place to celebrate her Birthday. We had wine and cupcakes. Played with her cats. And chatted. About weddings and religion and secret girlfriends and weddingbells website. Super nice evening:)

No comments: