I have gazillion things to do and the waves seem to be closing above my head. And some annoying people around are not helping with their existence. So this morning I was ready to bite heads off. It was the day of our labs fieldtrip, and I was running late with my experiment setting up. And they decided to leave me behind and lock me out of the lab. I was not too happy. I even thought maybe boycotting the event. But - I can't do that. It might be fun:)
So I followed them and all worked out perfectly, as I they kept me a spot in the lineup. Perfect. And I just made it on time for our lab's official picture taking. We enjoyed the free BBQ hosted by GSAED in downtown. I got my ISIC card done (who knows when it might become handy). And I got my agenda - finally! I think that was another reason for overwhelmness - my agenda was finished last week.
Anyway - the food was good, the company was good.
And then our lab formed this secretive circle on the edge of the field, away from the food tent (I almost missed out, as I was wondering around). And we had a small end-of-the-summer ceremony. Will and Adam got small souvenirs as a thank you for their hard work all summer with the Solaromics grant. And then, out of the blue, I was in the middle of the attention. Illimar said that I am our labs next "exiter", and that he was happy with my seminar, and he also liked me "coming out" (I wasn't quite sure what did he mean by that) and that they, as the lab, are worried about how I dress, they presented me with a gift. It was a t-shirt with the Salvador Dali's painting on it. Very cute. And appropriate, as it's about an egg and the birth of a new person.
Very symbolic.
I'm so happy! Ikkagi inimesed. (English: "Still humans". The line comes from one Estonian movie. It was said by crazy lady from the capital after the simple farmer helped her with something).

And then we went to the Art Gallery to see the 1930s exhibition (where "my picture" was presented as well). It was great! So interesting to see how the artists portrayed the messed up world in the 30s. I even found a perfect painting for my theses' frontis piece (Max Ernst, Landscape of Wheat Germ).
On our way there and back we had many inspirational spiels by Illimar (at some point we got yelled at by a homeless person, who thought we are taking up his space. Wow.)
Illimar also gave me a great pep-talk, that I really needed to hear (that the seminar was good, and that I'm on my way out, and that I have knowledge, and I look like a scientist...).
To finish all this we speedwalked to Cafe Nostalgica to have some beer. It was amazing. And it disappeared like water from the sauna oven stones. Did I say, it was pretty hot today? It was. Really nice. But if you make too fast moves, you get sweaty.
And by 6 I was back in the lab.
Full circle.

No comments:
Post a Comment