Sunday, November 16, 2008

feeling better

Ok, seriously, I think I have a thesis writing blues. I just gotta get out. ASAP. Before anybody gets hurt.
But - today I feel better. I worked on my WIP (Work in Progress talk) and it's almost ready. Of course, my actual work in progress is "writing papers", but I decided to whip up a story about wheat and the gene I'm studying within. That's the paper I'm currently concocting, and the talk helps me to think about it under a new angle. It's called: Whole Wheat - Friend or Foe?
Nice, eh?
I wan't to raise some awarness that whole wheat might not be as "goddly" as people talk about it. No doubt it seems to sound good, but HOW good? And does it apply to everybody?
No need to freak out though. For most adults it should be (based on current minimal studies) beneficial due to it's fiber and phytochemical (that is antioxidant) content. The controversy might lay in use in kids menus. It MIGHT be that whole wheat is not THAT good for kids who are genetically predisposed to type 1 diabetes. And that due to the fact that whole wheat contains some extra proteins on top of the fiber and micronutrients that might not go well with everyones gut. Just my hypothesis though. It will take years to prove it. And it won't be me to do this work.

Also - I love working with the new Office (2007). My presenation has such a beautiful colorscheme and stuff. I like!

I also got a very positive e-mail from Germany (her and I had some GOOD times together when she was here a few years back), which helped a lot with the improvement of my mood. It came with the song:) I like it! The candle, good music, almost done WIP and me are just hanging out. Soooo relaxing.

Also - on the different note. Currently my door is obstructed by a big fridge (from outside. Thank god the door opens into the apartment, not the other way). Yesterday it was still lurking 2 meters away (in the wider part of the hallway), but by today it has crawled around the corner and too close to my door. What's up with it? I can get out (and in), if I don't carry anything big (nor any extra pounds around my waist), but still - food nor bike can fit in nor the recycling out. I could push it to block my neighbours door, but this sounds too temporary. I called my landlord. And if he doesn't remove it by tomorrow noon (or whenever I get home), I will call the city bylaw or firemarssal. The craziest thing is, that when I had a vase behind my door, in a corner, in no-ones way, then they threw it out and said it was the fire hazard. And now there's the huge fridge on the way, and no-one cares. If there were to be a fire, the chances are high that I won't get by the fridge in panick or maybe knock myself unconcious. So...

And to finish, a little funny 2 min-fragment from my life:
On Thursday we (BMIGSA) organized and had a Games and Poker night. It was at the Brig upstairs, and it was beautiful! If you ever need to organize something in Ottawa for less than 40 people, you should go there.
Anyway. We were playing cranium. I was a little tired, and I think it showed. So Elmira and I had a following dialouge:
El: you look bored.
Ev: no, no, it's ok.
El: do you want to play strip-poker?
Ev: (absentmindedly) sure, we could try.
El: (freaking out) I was just kidding. I was just kidding.
Ev: (looks confused) what did you say?
El: that do you want to play strip-poker, but I was just kidding. really. just kidding.
Ev: ohhh!!! no, thank you.

Poor Elmira - she was actually worried, that strip-poker is what I truly want to play and since she suggested it, she needs to participate. I guess you never know these Eastern European women.

No comments: