I was getting groceries yesterday, and I thankfully I was in the thinking mode. And what did I see? A crazy rip off. So I was looking for my usual cereal (not that I have one really. I usually take the one that is on sale or anything NoName). I couldn't find it, but I found some other cereal products. They are all PC-brand (Presidents Choice - local grocery store brand). I grabbed the first box that seemed to have ok content and started to leave, when the "thinking-elf" woke up and I decided to compare three similar products: one simple, one with added almonds and raisins, and one with 30% extra fruit. Since all were the same price, $4.29, I thought, wait, I should take the extra fruit one, perhaps it's more healthy. And I grabbed the other box, thinking, why would anyone take the regular one, if they could get the third more healthy options for the same price? And - of COURSE, there's a trick. All cost the same, and the box has the same measurements. But - the weight of the content is different. So - regular - 750 g, extra almonds/raisins - 800 g, extra fruit - 600 g. Wow. I opted back to the almond/raisin box. But I bet most people (me included most days) doesn't notice it, and take the fruit one, thinking they are getting a deal.
Crazy, eh?
But it's actually true, that the cheapest contents of products are: air and sugar. So the producers add these as much as possible, and make you pay for it too.
And just for interest (Kullionu recently posted something similar):
4 L milk (2%) - $5.67
700 g black rye bread - $3.10 (white spongy Wonderbread that I don't eat is about $2)
Eesti mõistes saia siin nagu ei olegi.
312 g boneless chicken thighs - $4.65
2 oranges (630 g) - $1.10
6 eggs - $2.49
Astro Balkan Style yogurt (500 mL) $2.50 (on sale)
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment