I went to visit Burnstown today. It's this little village near Ottawa that was once named after Scottish poet Robbie Burns. Once a year, in the beginning of November, they have a Magic of Candlelight weekend. Then all the little boutiques (lots of beautiful jewellary) and art galleries are open and all the roads/streets are hemmed with candles. It looks so fairytaly.
I took some pictures, that didn't come out as great and they don't convey the magic. But still, it gives you a little idea. If you ever happen to be in the neighbourhood around November, then you should visit them.
A few weeks ago I visited Veera (tädi Veera), who is close to 90 years old and very active considering her age. She comes out to the Estonian events and takes care of her house and grows plants and flowers and stuff. And she made this amazing meal for me. And we chatted. I find it really interesting to to find out how people's lives have gone, and what decisions they had to take, and where did they took them.
Both, Marta and Veera, really, really appreciated my little visits. And this makes me happy:)
But it made me think about the old age. I wonder how I will spend my old age. And would I be the whiny pensionar who demands the special treatment whereever possible or lonely pensionar at home or will I be calm and wise like Marta or active and happy like Veera?
But even Veera, she said, that it's not fun (starost ne radost). Her husband passed away a few years ago. Also there is fewer and fewer of friends (same age) with every year, because they pass away too. I suggested that she could get new and young friends, and she said (really well, I think), that she remebers her young age, and she didn't want to hang out with old people then. Also there is not that much to do, when you are in your nineties. Also, not doing too much and shorter sleep pattern that comes with old age make the days longer. I often wish that the days would be longer. And I think now all these wishes are counted and given to me once I pass 80.
As much as I complain that I have too much to do, I do like having rather many things going on and having to choose, than not having any. Also - I love procrastination, and as a proper procrastinator, I do other less-important things to avoid doing more-important things until the deadline is "biting my ass" (as they say here). Eventually all gets done, and the list will have new things in it. I can't imagine life without procrastination though.
Of course, first I should grow up and get out of school. And then, yearssssss later, I can start worrying about elderness. But still...

No comments:
Post a Comment